Saturday, June 29, 2013
A friend of mine has an apricot tree in her backyard (I know, California living is hard) and this year it is just bursting with fruit. Every time I see her, she wants to give me what seems like hundreds of pounds of the sweet fruit. I've resisted thus far (though I admit to having jam thoughts) and I've only brought home a small number. In addition to his unbelievable dislike of peaches, Mr Official Taster also steers away from apricots. sigh
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
This post was supposed to be about cupcakes. Well, really, cupcakes and frosting. But, the cupcakes were meh and the frosting stole the show. Not only is this frosting delicious, but it's a double agent. Before you whip it, you can use it as a ganache:
or as a whipped, buttercream-esqe frosting:
Sunday, June 16, 2013
Good morning (er, afternoon), and Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there (especially mine). I hope you're having a good weekend and that it's got the right mix of fun and relaxing. After a month of not getting more than one day off at a time, I finagled three. That's right. I am so looking forward to doing...not much. It's gonna be great.
In that spirit, here are a few things I've found worth reading lately.
- a meditation on being available in every moment
- Paris: The Novel I finished reading this the other week (last week? I'm not sure), and while I didn't enjoy it as much as some of his other books, it's about Paris, so I automatically like it
- Pulling back the veil: Moms (and dads) really can't do it all, and that's ok. Why won't so many admit to having help?
- If you need another reason DOMA needs to disappear, this short video gives you one. Fingers crossed that SCOTUS rules appropriately (and soon! the suspense is killing me)
- Numi Tea is running an Instagram contest with lots of winners. Here's how to win a 100-count box of your favorite Numi tea bags. (I won this past week, but, no, they didn't ask me to post this, nor do they know that I am)
- You're probably way ahead of me on this, but I've recently discovered Oh, Ladycakes and it's just lovely. and mouthwatering. and vegan. and oh so lovely.
- Are you dreaming of distant lands? Deb of Smitten Kitchen is in Italy and sharing lots of photos via Instagram. swoon.
Now, it's your turn. What's on your list?